Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Oversharing and Finding the Right Content




Hey! I have been absent for a while. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t been coming up with content. I have been writing quite a lot so, if everything goes to plan, you won’t have to miss me in the upcoming weeks! The reason I haven’t been uploading is that, for one, the days are super short and the few hours there is light to make blog photos I am usually in school. And secondly, I have been contemplating what kind of content I want to put out there. I called this blog Frivolous Affairs because I needed a place to come and be frivolous. However, I do miss having somewhat more serious discussions.

We are all writers and creators as well as readers and viewers. And so, we share. Which is fine. But, lately, I’ve been worrying quite a bit about oversharing. My blog is fairly new and I have been trying to find the perfect balance. How do you set the right boundaries? What should I share? What do I feel comfortable sharing? How comfortable should your readers feel with what you share? I want to provoke, but when do I take it too far? How about triggers? Do I not write about something because it might hurt my audience? How do I represent myself and what I want to stand for in the best way possible? These are all questions I have been asking myself and one by one I’m finding answers to them.


But, am I overthinking it all? I want my little corner of the internet to be a healthy and safe place for people to come and enjoy themselves, maybe even learn a little. However, I don’t want to be too careful and stop enjoying myself. After all, my little nook of the internet wouldn’t be mine if it didn’t carry some of my constantly present “dominant” (thank the patriarchy for that silly description) personality.

Lately, by being overly careful, I have somehow started writing stereotypical brainless product posts. Other than me liking the products I was discussing, the bog posts didn’t contain any personality. Don’t get me wrong, I still love my beauty products. I just think there is a lot more to discuss than the right color eyeshadow or the perfect red lip. It’s not like I can’t start a badass debate while looking fabulous.

Share this PostPin ThisEmail This