Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Cool Toned Eyeshadow, A Fall Alternative



When you think of fall make up, you probably think of shimmery warm eyeshadows and a dark berry lip. I have been looking forward to this golden combination for months, but fall isn't nearly over yet and, I have to say, I am kind of bored of them already. Lately I find myself grabbing cool toned eyeshadows more frequently. After a long period of cherishing my YSL eyeshadow palette in all its warm orangey toned glory, I’m now reaching for the total opposite. Plums, browns and burgundies, all with a greyish undertone have made their way back into my daily make up selection. And let’s be honest, they do suit my skin tone a lot better.

I initially reached for them because I didn’t have enough time in the morning due to a serious lack of sleep and discipline to stop watching YouTube videos before 1 a.m. So, I swapped my powder eyeshadows for creamy ones. And they just happened to be cool/ashy toned.

Anyway, the cool tones are back! And I’m going to tell you how to wear these ashy beauties.



Eyeshadow


Since the eyeshadows I’m talking about are all creamy, they are a joy to apply them. You can apply a sheer layer or you can build up coverage. Just apply these all over your moving eyelid and blend the edges out with a fluffy brush and you’re good to go. Since I have hooded eyes, I do tend to open them up by applying a darker shade in my crease and blend it upwards. Don’t forget to make sure your crease shade doesn’t have a red or orange undertone though.

The products I have been using are two of the Maybelline Color Tattoos in Vintage Plum (97) and Metallic Pomegranate (70) and a Rimmel Scandal Eyes Eyeshadow Stick in Bad Girl Bronze (003). 


Lipstick



Now you have your eyeshadow down. But what lipstick do you chose to with it? To be honest, you can’t really go wrong. The eyeshadows are quite neutral so it’ll be hard to find a lipstick that clashes with these. But, if you want to keep this look cool and ashy looking, I’d recommend a lipstick with a blue/grey undertone. For this, I use the Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Mattes lipstick in Divine Wine (695) or the Maybelline Color Drama Lip Pencil in Berry Much (310) when I want a dark lip and the Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick in Ambigue (124) when I want a neutral lip color.

I hope this helps with achieving your perfect cool ashy look. I do love this one as an alternative to the usual warm, close to orange fall eyeshadow colors. What kind of eyeshadow do you like to go for in fall? Do you prefer warm or cool toned eyeshadows? Let me know in the comments!

Share this PostPin ThisEmail This