Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Fall Clothing Staples



Warning: This post is rather long, so you might want to grab a cup of tea or coffee. Welcome at Frivolous Affairs and enjoy reading!

Let’s set a scene real quick. You step outside, you breath in the crisp autumn air. Leaves are making their way downwards from the colorful balding trees and as you breathe out you create your own personal flurrie. I think it’s safe to say autumn is in full swing. And now summer has officially taken her annual leave, I am searching the back corners of my closet for the perfect f/w outfits. But even though I can’t wait to reintroduce warm tones and different textures into my wardrobe, I want to figure out my basics first. Time for my fall staples!

Let’s start from the top and make our way downwards. None of that underdog, making your way to the top nonsense. We are starting with the old goldie, the black leather jacket. The jacket I am wearing is from a Belgian store called JBC. I take this essential with me throughout all the seasons. But in autumn, it’s its time to shine. My leather friend keeps me warm whilst providing my outfit with the necessary edge. No kimonos or other nonsense around my shoulder. Leather friendo all the waaay! (Except in winter lol…brrrr.)

JBC Leather Jacket, Zara Scarf and Block Heels


Now, on to the scarves. I want them aaaall! And I must say, I have quite a few already. I don’t wear a lot of color, so a scarf is a way to introduce a hint of color without letting go of my beloved blacks and greys. Lately, I have been leaning towards a deep blue scarf I got from Zara. It fits my complexion perfectly, it’s super soft and, most importantly, it’s huge. So I can snuggle up in my blanket/scarf with a rather large flask of coffee whenever school decides to start early again. Seriously, what’s up with those morning classes?

Primark Cardigan, Zara Scarf and River Island Bag
This is where you’ll start to notice my tendency to opt for everything cozy and warm. And so, the next item of clothing, again, takes me to another level of cozy and warm. The oversized cardigan has a way of making any outfit look effortlessly cool. The one I’m wearing in the photo is from Primark. Its color is a perfect mix of a deep green with a hint of yellow and a touch of black. I usually wear this on days I can’t be bothered to put a “proper” outfit together. I feel like when I throw this on, it automatically does something to my outfit. When I wear this cardigan with plain black pants and a simple shirt, it gives the impression that I have put actual effort in. Or I can dress my outfit down by wearing it with a skirt or dress.

And last, but certainly not least, the SHOES. Autumn is the season of boots. And, preferably, they come with a nice thick heel to run around in all day. For the last three years, I thought I owned the perfect pair of black block heels. The heels were high enough to deserve the name ‘heels’, but they were low enough for me to walk around in all day. everything was perfect in Jana’s Shoe Land, until September. Finally there is a new pair of block heels to challenge my old one. Where my other pair was a bit too bulky, these perfect new babies are comfortable as well as elegant. And that is exactly what my old pair was lacking. They look amazing with pants, but for some reason they clash with anything that comes close to elegance. So, I’m insanely happy with my new found. Dresses, skirts and knee-high tights, let’s do this!

Ah, I could keep going for a while about all things autumn. I haven’t yet mentioned my collection of sweaters nor did I talk about my knee-high tights or my cozy pajamas. But I think I’ll wrap it up here and keep only the core essentials.

What are your fall/autumn essentials? And what statement pieces do you like to pair them with to dress them up? Let me know in the comments!

I hope you have the most wonderful day of days.

Share this PostPin ThisEmail This