Thursday, December 3, 2015

Winter Reads




The first snow of the year has fallen to the ground and the sun sets at around 3 o’clock. Winter is here and the cold short days make for the perfect excuse to stay inside and cuddle up under a warm blanket. Even though I am a fore stander of the concept ‘Netflix and chill’, nothing tops a good book and a cup of coffee in my opinion. These are some of my favorite wintery reads.
I am not going to include the stereotypical Harry Potter books and Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. You will however notice that I like a little bit of magic in my books to warm up the cold end-of-year days.

The first book, Andrew Kaufman’s The Tiny Wife, is a short one. It’s a beautiful story in which you follow the story of several characters as they learn to appreciate friends, family and the little things in life again. It’s also very short, so, if you want, you could probably finish this one in one sitting.


The next one is from one of my favorite writers, Neil Gaiman. If you ever feel down, do read/watch his speech ‘Make Good Art’. It always gets me back on my feet. But the book I want to talk to you about is ‘The Ocean at the End of the Lane’. It’s a book meant for adults written from the perspective of a little boy that has grown up and revisits his past. It’s a magical book on how we perceive the world around us differently as we grow up. At least, that’s what I got from it.


If you are looking for a nice easy read, Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohnand David Levithan is what you want. It’s a YA book about two teenagers, Dash and Lily. Lily decides to leave a notebook on one of the shelves of the Strand Bookstore in New York. Inside, she wrote messages for some stranger to find. Over their Christmas holidays they exchange challenges and messages becoming closer with every interaction. I love this book because it’s a short and easy read. It’s a lovely story to get lost in on a cold winter night.

What will you be reading over the Christmas holidays? Let me know!



Share this PostPin ThisEmail This